Battlesbridge, located at the tidal reach of the River Crouch, has had a long history with the river that divides it. It takes its name from the Battaille family, with a mention in a 1351 document as the settlement of Bataillesbregge. This also indicates that there was a bridge as far back as the 14th century, though the present day iron structure is much later, dating from 1872. It was the second iron bridge to be constructed; the first was struck and irreparably damaged by a passing steam traction engine.
Journey time – 4 minute walk from Battlesbridge station.